CDOA Scholarship Program Call for Applicants
COMMONWEALTH OF DOMINICA, ONTARIO ASSOCIATION (CDOA)
Western Union Financial Services
o To encourage and assist youth from the Commonwealth of Dominica, Ontario Community who are resident in areas served by the CDOA to pursue their educational goals at the University or College level.
o To recognize academic efforts, community involvement and contribution in the Dominican community in Ontario.
Number and Value of Awards:
The minimum value of each scholarship to be awarded annually is Cdn $500.00. The scholarships are non-renewable and non-transferable. The scholarships are to be used towards full course of study, leading to a first Diploma or first Degree.
These awards are tenable at any accredited university, community college or trade school in Canada.
To be eligible the applicant must meet the following criteria:
a) Individuals who are not older than 24 years of age and whose parents, guardians or grandparents are of The Commonwealth of Dominica descent; or any Financial/Honorary Life member of the Commonwealth of Dominica, Ontario Association and who is in good financial standing.
b) A first year or continuing student enrolled at or currently attending a university, college or trade school;
c) Submit proof of enrollment to the qualifying university or college or trade school. Proof of registration must be mailed or faxed to the CDOA by the Registrar.
d) Student must be actively involved in the community or engaged in extra-curricular activities
A Five (5) person Committee consisting two CDOA Past Presidents, two members of the current CDOA Executive and one financial member from the community will be responsible for administering the Scholarship on behalf of the Association. The Committee will select recipients and their decision shall be final.
EVALUATION WILL BE BASED UPON:
- A copy of Academic transcript.
- Two letters of reference, one from an academic institution attended within the last two years of the year of application; and the other from a community member other than a parent outlining:
a) How the referee came to know you.
b) How long the referee has known you.
c) Why the referee thinks applicant is deserving of award
- An essay of approximately 250 words outlining (in the student’s own words) indicating why applicant should be selected.
- The applicant must also outline academic achievements and any volunteer activities and leadership roles they have assumed.
- The applicant should also include any economic factors relevant to the application.
Requirement of the Recipient(s)
- The Recipient(s) should be available to participate in future award ceremonies and be willing to serve as role models in the CDOA Community.
Terms of Payment
The first installment of 50% of the value of the scholarship will be issued to the recipient upon receipt of proof of enrollment for the school year. The second installment will be issued after completion of the same school year.
Closing date for application of scholarship for academic year
Completed application package (please see list of required documents) must be received at the following address no later than August 31st.
Commonwealth of Dominica, Ontario Association.
800 Grandview Street North, Oshawa, ON L1K 2C9
(applications may be emailed.)
Scholarship recipient(s) will be contacted in a reasonable time and presented to the community during an annual CDOA Event.